Band and Choir info
The dress for both High School Band and Middle School Band is black and white. That is black slacks for both males and females and white dress type shirts (that is with buttons and preferably not white uniform shirts). For Jazz Band it is their Jazz Band Shirts and black slacks. For 6th grade when they play is their white uniform shirts with their dark slacks/ shorts. Again not skirts.
Remember, being in a choir is about blending in. Just like we don’t want anyone’s voice to stick out when we sing, we don’t want anyone to stand out because of their clothing or accessories. We should sound and look like a unified group.
The dress for 7-8th Choir is black and white. That is black slacks for both males and females (females may wear a long black skirt as an alternative to slacks) and white dress-type shirts (that is with a collar and buttons and preferably not white uniform shirts). No ties required.
High School Choir
Girls – what to wear:
- Your choir dress
- Black dress shoes (flats or heels, closed toe or sandals)
Girls – what NOT to wear:
- Shoes that you can’t walk up stairs in, that cause you to trip, or that hurt your feet to stand for an extended period of time
- Athletic shoes
- Shoes that are overly sequined, sparkly, or otherwise attention-getting
- Big or blingy jewelry (small, understated jewelry is okay)
- Perfume – some people are very sensitive or allergic to it, and being in close quarters intensifies the scent
- Long hair does not need to be up, but your hair should be pulled away from your face. Makeup is optional.
Boys – what to wear:
- Black dress pants
- Black belt
- Black button-up, long-sleeved dress shirt
- Plain white necktie
- Black dress shoes
- Black socks that go up to at least mid-calf
Boys – what NOT to wear:
- Socks that show your ankles (even just when sitting)
- Black shoes that have white soles, white laces, or other white or light trim
- Bow tie
- Cologne or after-shave (see notes about perfume for girls)
As an additional note, choir dresses are custom made at the beginning of the school year and cost around 800 baht. There are usually a few spare dresses that past members return. If someone takes one of those, there’s no charge. Chanson members are given a green tie or a green sash to sew onto their dresses over the white waistband. Otherwise their concert attire is the same as for high school choir.